Summer is synonymous with vacations, and there's no better way to bond with your family—and yes, that includes your pets—than by embarking on a road trip. The adventure becomes even more memorable when the journey is as delightful as the destination, and your furry friend accompanies the ride.
Here are five budget-friendly road trips perfect for you and your pet this summer:
Also Read: The Advantages of Traveling With Pets
The Great Lakes Tour
Destination: Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota
- Pet-Friendly Beaches: There are numerous beaches around the Great Lakes where pets are welcomed, like Montrose Dog Beach in Chicago.
- Scenic Drives: Drive along the coasts of Lake Michigan and Lake Superior for breathtaking views.
- Budget Tip: Camp out! Many campgrounds around the Great Lakes are pet-friendly and far cheaper than hotels.
Related Blog: Top 9 Lakefront Campgrounds to Visit Across the US
Blue Ridge Parkway
Destination: Virginia and North Carolina
- Stunning Overlooks: The Blue Ridge Parkway, known as "America's Favorite Drive," offers numerous overlooks with panoramic views.
- Hiking Opportunities: Trails like Craggy Gardens are excellent for leashed pets.
- Budget Tip: Opt for picnics! There are multiple picnic spots along the parkway, which saves on dining costs.
Also Read: 5 Tips on How to Rent an RV for Summer
Oregon Coast Highway
Destination: Oregon Coast
- Dramatic Seascapes: From Astoria to Brookings, the Pacific coastline is breathtaking.
- Dog-Friendly Beaches: Cannon Beach and Manzanita are just a couple of beaches that welcome four-legged visitors.
- Budget Tip: Visit the numerous state parks along the route. They often have minimal fees and offer great value in beauty and recreation.
Hill Country Explorer
- Rolling Hills and Wildflowers: The Texan countryside in summer is vibrant and colorful.
- Wineries: Some wineries in the Texas Hill Country welcome pets in their outdoor areas.
- Budget Tip: For more affordable lodging, consider staying in smaller towns like Fredericksburg or Kerrville.
Desert Southwest Loop
Destination: Arizona and New Mexico
- Iconic Landscapes: Think Monument Valley, White Sands, and Petrified Forest National Park.
- Cultural Stops: Explore the rich indigenous cultures in towns like Taos or Santa Fe.
- Budget Tip: Fuel up in larger towns or cities. Gas tends to be pricier in remote areas.
Prep Tips for a Smooth Journey with Pets:
#1 Pack Essentials: This includes water, food, a leash, toys, and any medications your pet might need.
#2 Board with a Pet Monitor: Keep your pets protected throughout the journey using Waggle. Monitor their ambient temperature and humidity changes and save form unforeseen heat illness like Heat Stroke.
#3 Plan Breaks: Regular stops allow your pet to stretch, play, and hydrate.
#4 Check Lodgings: Ensure the places you're staying at are pet-friendly. Some might require a small fee for pets.
Also Read: Pet Travel from USA to India
Road trips embody the spirit of adventure. And there's no reason why your pets can't join in the fun. Choosing pet-friendly destinations and planning wisely ensures that your summer travels remain light on the pocket but heavy on memories!
Safe travels and wagging tails to you!